What Should You Eat Before A Workout?Dec 02, 2022
If your energy sucks during your workouts or you feel like you tap out mid-way through…might be time to start paying closer attention to your meal timing and nutrition around your training sessions 🤷🏻♀️💪🏻
This is an example of a pre-workout "snack" I'll consume about 45 minutes before my workout:
➡️ Rice cakes topped with protein spread (protein powder mixed with water), banana, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, and salt.
Here's the breakdown of why I chose each component 🤓
Carb Sources -- Rice Cakes & Banana 🍚 🍌
- Quick and easily digestible
- Starch + Fruit combo to take advantage of multiple pathways of absorption
Protein Source -- Protein Powder 🥣
- Increase circulating amino acids going into training to optimize MPS (muscle protein synthesis) and prevent as much MPB (muscle protein breakdown) as possible...AKA fuel the gains train!
Fat Source -- Pumpkin Seeds 🌰 🥜
- Small amount of fat to help steady blood sugar response
- Not too much fat to slow digestion down pre-training
- Adds more crunch factor 😋
- Aid electrolyte balance
- Facilitate pump (sodium pulls water into your muscle cells and increases blood flow AKA gives ya a good pump)
- Helps with nutrient absorption and transport
📌 Tip: Instead of fearing carbs (and calories for that matter)...maybe start thinking about fueling appropriately for your goals so you can train hard and get that "toned" look you're after 😉
Remember, getting "toned" comes from building muscle, NOT just losing body fat.
Losing body fat makes you a smaller version of your current shape. Building muscle CHANGES your shape! 🤯
Hope this helps!!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for free recipes, exercise tips, nutrition advice, product discounts, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts fat loss fitness program keto basics keto for women lifestyle meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes tips transformations vegetables & sides workout nutrition