Episode 79: Exploring Exogenous Ketones with Dr. Dominic D’AgostinoDec 15, 2020
To watch this episode, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Dr. Dominic D’Agostino is an Associate Professor in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the University of South Florida and Research Scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC). His laboratory develops and tests metabolic-based strategies for neurological disorders, cancer, and for enhancing safety and resilience of military personnel in extreme environments. His research is supported by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), Department of Defense (DoD), private organizations and foundations.
In this episode, we chat all about exogenous ketones, ‘the keto diet vs. the drink,’ fuel supplementation for performance, benefits of a higher protein ketogenic approach, and more!
- A breakdown of what ketones are and some benefits
- How to spot the best exogenous ketones
- The difference between Ketone Salts vs. Ketone Esters
- Ketones and carbs for performance
- The benefits of a higher protein ketogenic diet
- What are the positive effects of ketones as signaling molecules, in simple terms?
- Is there more research coming out in humans with ketogenic diets and exogenous ketones?
- What are the best exogenous ketones?
- What is your opinion on taking exogenous ketones and not following a ketogenic diet vs. following a ketogenic diet and also incorporating exogenous ketones?
- What's your view on the concept of metabolic flexibility?
- Are there negatives to taking exogenous ketones?
- What’s the difference between ketone salts and ketone esters?
- What’s your personal diet and training protocol like?
- [0:00] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel gives a brief background about guest Dr. Dominic D’Agostino dominic.dagostino.kt
- [2:00] If you are enjoying the show please like, tag @rachelgregory.cns and share! Another way to help spread the word is to share a review on itunes!
- [2:30] Rachel introduces guest Dr. Dominic D’Agostino to the listeners
- [3:30] Dr. Agostino gives a brief bio on how he got into nutrition and specifically ketogenic diets
- [4:30] Oxygen Toxicity Seizures
- [8:30] Question: What are the positive effects of ketones as signaling molecules, in simple terms?
- [11:00] GABA
- [13:30] Ketones also have epigenetic effects
- [18:00] Glucose Transporter Deficiency Syndrome (GLUT 1 Deficiency Syndrome)
- [19:00] Dr. Richard Veech
- [21:00] Rachel’s CrossFit Study
- [22:00] Question: Is there more research coming out in humans with ketogenic diets and exogenous ketones? Can you speak to that versus animal research?
- [23:00] clinicaltrials.gov
- [27:00] Question: What are the best exogenous ketones?
- [28:00] Ketone Supplements
- [29:00] How to Choose an Exogenous Ketone Supplement
- [29:30] Question: What is your opinion on taking exogenous ketones and not following a ketogenic diet vs. following a ketogenic diet and also incorporating exogenous ketones?
- [38:30] Question: What's your view on the concept of metabolic flexibility?
- [38:30] Episode 21: The Science of Metabolic Flexibility with Dr. Mike T Nelson
- [45:30] Question: Are there negatives to taking exogenous ketones?
- [48:30] Question: What’s the difference between ketone salts and ketone esters?
- [52:30] Question: Dr. Dom’s personal diet and training protocol?
- [59:00] Question: Anything you’ve changed your mind about in the past year and why?
- [1:03:00] You can find Dr. Dominic D’Agostino at https://www.ketonutrition.org/ and on Instagram dominic.dagostino.kt
[1:03:00] Thanks for listening to another episode! If you are curious about Dr. D’Agostino’s work check it out at https://www.ketonutrition.org/ If you are enjoying the show please like, tag @rachelgregory.cns and share!
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for free recipes, exercise tips, nutrition advice, product discounts, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss fitness program keto basics keto for women lifestyle meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes soups & salads tips transformations vegetables & sides workout nutrition