Episode 158: The Benefits of Exogenous Ketones with Michael BrandtMar 25, 2022
To experience H.V.M.N Ketone Ester for yourself, go to hvmn.com use the discount code METFLEX for a podcast listener exclusive discount!
To watch this episode and other past episodes, please visit Rachel’s YouTube channel.
Don’t forget to join Rachel’s weekly newsletter, The Friday Flex here: https://www.metflexlife.com/newsletter
Michael Brandt is co-founder and CEO of Health Via Modern Nutrition (H.V.M.N.) a metabolic health company on a mission to redefine the limits of human performance, metabolism, and longevity. He's an avid triathlete and marathoner (2:42 PR). Prior to starting H.V.M.N., he received his BS in Computer Science & Design at Stanford, was a Product Manager at Google, and Adjunct Professor at the Academy of Art in SF. He has always been a leader, and lifelong student, of designing products for new and emerging needs.
In this episode, Michael and I take a deep dive into the world of exogenous ketones. We talk about the newest technology in exogenous ketone supplementation, the benefits that ketones have on your metabolism, dual fueling for performance and brain health, ketone esters vs. ketone salts, how to find the cleanest form of ketone esters, and more!
“If you're on a personal mission for health and wellbeing, there are not really any shortcuts. You can wear a better pair of running shoes, but it's not going to do the run for you. You can have better tools in your toolkit, but you still have to adhere to an overall healthy diet.” -Michael Brandt
- Benefits of ketones for your metabolism
- Differences between common types of exogenous ketones found on the market
- Benefits that exogenous ketones have on your brain health and recovery
- The most accurate way to test if you’re in a state of ketosis
- [0:00] Introduction to episode trailer
- [0:40] Rachel gives a brief bio of today’s guest Michael Brandt along with her opinion and experience using H.V.M.N exogenous ketones
- [3:33] If you are curious about H.V.M.N and want to try them out go to hvmn.com use the discount code METFLEX to save
- [4:02] Welcome back to MetFlex and Chill! Rachel welcomes guest Michael Brandt to the listeners
- [4:32] Michael gives the listeners a background of his journey in biohacking
- [8:02] Ketone IQ
- [8:38] A Low-Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet Combined with 6-Weeks of Crossfit Training Improves Body Composition and Performance
- [9:45] Question: What are the main benefits of ketones in general and for your metabolism?
- [13:04] Benefits of ketones and recovery
- [15:09] Question: Can we dive into the differences between exogenous ketone esters vs. ketone salts, and the benefits of buying from a reputable company like H.V.M.N vs. a GNC?
- [15:57] “If you're on a personal mission for health and wellbeing, there are not really any shortcuts. You can wear a better pair of running shoes, but it's not going to do the run for you. You can have better tools in your toolkit, but you still have to adhere to an overall healthy diet.” -Michael Brandt
- [21:20] Metabolic Health Summit
- [23:20] “Ketones can be considered their own macronutrient.” -Michael Brandt
- [26:50] Question: How can exogenous ketones be beneficial for high-intensity training?
- [30:13] “The more fuel you have available, the more fuel you can tap into from those different aspects, the better off you're probably going to be… not just from an exercise standpoint, but also from a recovery standpoint as well.” Rachel Gregory
- [31:10] Question: Can you talk about the benefits of exogenous ketones for your brain health?
- [33:22] DARPA: Operation Metabolic Dominance
- [38:06] 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge: Recipes and Workouts for a Slimmer, Healthier You
- [41:20] Question: In terms of ketone esters and salts, how do people decipher between the cheap and dirty ones and the ones that are higher quality?
- [42:06] Best way to test ketone validity: get a Ketone Blood Meter (use code METFLEX for 10% off)
- [44:38] Question: Are there any negatives to taking exogenous ketones?
- [45:55] “I don’t do strict keto myself, but I would say my message is: spend more time with elevated ketones.” Michael Brandt
- [47:06] Question: Are there more benefits when combining MCTs with ketones?
- [47:21] MCT Oil Powder
- [49:56] Question: Can you reiterate the benefits of ketone esters vs. ketone salts and why it’s optimal to use ketone esters to decrease the potential g.i. distress that comes along with ketone salts?
- [53:20] Question: What are some of the subjective symptoms someone should be looking for when they raise their blood ketone level by drinking a ketone ester?
- [55:51] What is L-Theanine?
- [56:44] Head to HVMN.com to check out V2 on Ketone IQ!
- [59:47] Listeners can find Michael Brandt at his website https://hvmn.com/, and on Twitter @bdm_runner
- Thanks for listening to another episode! If this episode got you intrigued about ketone esters and you want to try the product out for yourself you can go to hvmn.com and use the code METFLEX for that exclusive discount.
Join the FREE MetFLex Life Course: www.metflexandchill.com
Rachel Gregory (@rachelgregory.cns) is a Board-Certified Nutrition Specialist, Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and Author of the best-selling book, 21-Day Ketogenic Diet Weight Loss Challenge. She received her Master’s Degree in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from James Madison University and Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Miami.
Rachel helps her clients transform their lives by starting with the physical (body), realizing the power of the mental (mindset), and ultimately gaining massive confidence that bleeds into every aspect of their lives (family, relationships, work, etc.).
You can connect and learn more about Rachel's work by visiting her website www.metflexlife.com
- Youtube: @rachelgregory
- Instagram: @rachelgregory.cns
- TikTok: @rachelgregory.cns
- Facebook: @metflexlife
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my weekly newsletter for free recipes, exercise tips, nutrition advice, product discounts, and more fun stuff!
Filter By:All Categories appetizers & snacks beef blog breakfast calories chicken & seafood desserts dinner fat loss fitness program keto basics keto for women lifestyle meal prep miniflex muscle science for women podcast podcast appearances pork & lamb recipes tips transformations vegetables & sides workout nutrition